Residents of the Wealden district soon won’t have to travel to neighbouring areas to celebrate the lives of their loved ones with the opening of the area’s first ever crematorium.
The new crematorium, due to open in the spring and the first to be opened in the Wealden district, means families will no longer have to travel to Tunbridge Wells, Brighton or Eastbourne to hold ceremonies.
Set in a central location just south of the village of Horam on the A267, the new multi-faith crematorium has been developed and will be operated by Wealden District Council. It’s no more than 30 minutes’ drive from any of Wealden’s towns and villages.
Peter Griggs from the council told Your East Sussex: “We were very conscious of the need to protect the environment so we took expert advice on ecological and environmental issues. Consequently the 30 acres of beautiful landscaped grounds, wildflower meadows and grazing pasture will soon be taking on their own environmental significance.”
He added there was a growing demand for cremation services and an increasing need for families and friends to be able to mourn their loved ones in an unhurried, peaceful setting, without the additional stress of travelling long distances or rushed services.
“We believe this new crematorium responds to these needs and that its modern, compassionate approach to celebrating the lives of our loved ones will provide a top class service for all.” Peter said.
The modern building sits in a carefully landscaped and peaceful setting within the natural folds of the local landscape. Its contemporary design uses stone, glass and water to provide a welcoming, contemplative setting.
The new crematorium will feature:
- car parking for more than 150 vehicles, with electric vehicle charging points, accessible parking and cycle racks
- A comfortable waiting area with ample toilets with baby change
- A ceremony hall that seats 120 mourners, equipped with state-of-the-art audio visual equipment
- Unhurried services offered at one hour intervals
- A peaceful room for the book of remembrance
- All carefully designed to also meet the needs of those with a disability
For more information on the project visit Wealden Crematorium